Sunday 7 December 2014

Love Is Teasin'

I wish, I wish, I wish in vain,
I wish I was a maid again,
But a maid again I will never be
Till apples grow on an ivy tree,

Oh love is pleasin' and love is teasin'
And love is a pleasure when first it's new,
But as it grows older, sure the love grows colder,
And it fades away like the morning dew.

I left my father, I left my mother,
I left all my brothers and sisters too.
I left all my friends and my own relations,
I left them all to follow you.

But the sweetest apple is the soonest rotten,
And the heart of love is the soonest cold,
And what can't be cured love, has to be endured love,
And now I'm bound for America,

And love and porter make a young man older
And love and whiskey make him old and grey,
And what can't be cured love, has to be endured love,
And now I'm bound for America.

No comments:

Post a Comment