Friday 26 December 2014

Forever A Boxing Day Sale

Some years ago I read that,in the Russian Church, Christmas is a greater festival than Easter, that for them the primary fact of Christianity is the Incarnation of God.
I do not know how true this is, but I was interested to read it. And yesterday, after attending church, one of the little Revoltettes asked me 'what is the meaning of Immanuel?' 'God with us' I replied.
I suppose if we asked everybody what Christmas means to them, they would give a slightly different answer, but for me it is this; Christmas is about God being with us, not just about God walking with me, holding me up, sustaining me, but about God holding up the whole of Creation and sustaining it. God is love, and it is God's love that gives us breath and gives us meaning. God's love is eternal, and to live with God is to live eternally. It is God's love that gives light to the darkness, meaning to the chaos. Without love there is just appetite, self, and death. Without God it is never Christmas and forever a Boxing Day sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment