Monday 18 February 2013

More Docking

Down at the alehouse my friend Dick has been subjected to a lot of criticism since his post on the subject of gay marriage, some of it in jest, some a little more serious.
He would like me to point out that he is neither homophobic, nor sexist, nor thick, but extremely broad minded, the sort of person the modern political establishment would call a ‘bigot’.
Indeed he would like me to tell you that he is very cultured!!!!
Apparently, on the sly he is a fan of Arabic poetry. One of his favourite Arab poets is a lady from Kuwait called Souad al-Sabah. One of her books of poetry is called ‘In the beginning was the Female’.
This is one of her poems from a different collection. Here it is.


                         Free Harbour  

Many ships have asked for sanctuary
In the harbour of my eyes
I refused asylum to all of them
Your ships alone
Have the right to take refuge
In my territorial waters
Your ships alone
Have the right to sail in my blood
Without prior permission

No comments:

Post a Comment