Saturday 7 September 2013

John's Gospel Chapter 6, Hunger And Thirst

Then they said unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

The people there demanded from Jesus the bread of heaven that gives life to the world. But they did not know that Jesus himself was the bread of life.
In their blindness they could not see.
He had to explain to them that those who come to Jesus will never hunger, that those who hunger will never thirst.
And then, with sorrow, he says to the people, that though they had seen him, yet they did not believe on him.
What a terrible fate, never to know God's boundless redeeming love, to thirst and hunger forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment