Wednesday 13 July 2016

Plantation Boy - Menino de Engenho - Chapter 16





My grandfather always took me with him on his tours of inspection around the plantation. He liked to see what his tenants were getting up to, and play the role of lord of his lands. Old José Paulino liked to inspect each and every corner, to go into his woods, to take a look at his springs, to know the needs of his people, to shout his instructions, to hear complaints and lay down his law. We travelled many kilometres on these visits of the patriarch. He would stop at each and every door, tapping at the shutters with his stick. It was always a woman who would answer, a woman with a face that spoke of misery: the poor woman who gave birth to her many children on a straw bed, and who nourished them for years on end with milk from her sagging breasts. They always said of their husbands: 'He's out getting wood,' 'He's ill,' 'He's gone to buy gas,'
Others would complain about sickness in the house, the children with fever, the father confined to bed.
One woman, when my grandfather wanted to know why her husband had not turned up for work in the fields, came up with excuses,


"He wakes up some days with rheumatism."
Then my grandfather yelled,
"Turf them out, the rogues! He owes me four days labour, but he's been working at Engenho Novo. They think I don't know! Set fire to the house!"
"It's not true Colonel! My husband can't even walk. He's even taken the potato purge. People are spreading lies, Colonel! Santa Luzia strike me blind if I'm making it up."
The children stood with their swollen bellies, the youngest playing with a stick in the mud as if he were playing with sand on a beach.
"We're dying of hunger. God knows, if only my husband were better!"
"Tell him that a week from now we begin cutting the cane."
Sure enough a week later the man was there, machete in hand, strong and healthy.
"I've already told your wife that I'm sending you off the plantation. Instead of working you go off wandering and wasting time. I don't want layabouts on my lands."
It was the same conversation every time. Eventually, my grandfather would relent and for a week everything would be fine. Then the man would be off sick again, with aches and pains all over his body.
Other times, on our tours, we would knock on a door and no one would answer. One such family we found further on at work in the fields: the man, his wife, and their children. And he came up, cap in hand, asking for instructions. This man rented his land. He was not obliged to work his three days in the cane fields. He paid his rent and he was free of labour duties. The clearing where he grew his cotton and beans allowed him this half liberty. My grandfather would ask him about what was going on in the neighbourhood, if anyone was taking cotton or firewood off the plantation to sell.
"Not that I know of Colonel."
"Then keep a look out for me,"
"Yes, Colonel."
And after we moved on, my grandfather said to me, "He's a good man, he’s never caused me any problems."
In one straw house there was a white woman, her face so pale as to seem bloodless, with a small child curled up like a cat on the warm earth in the yard, and another clutching her breast; this was Chico Baixinho's wife. She had given birth a week ago and her husband was nowhere to be found.
"Nobody knows where he is, Colonel. He's a waste of space. He left me in bed with my belly about to burst, and off he went. If it weren't for the people here I would have died of starvation."
My grandfather told her to go and get some dried cod from the mill.
At another house they were all struck down with the shivering fever. They had come back from the leas at Goiana yellow and swollen with malaria.
"Send the boy to the mill for some quinine. You leave here healthy and come back in this state. Don’t go to Goiana again!"
Such were his journeys my grandfather undertook when he went to survey all he owned, every corner, every tree, so it seemed.
Nobody touched any of his timber, nobody would dare. They might rob the cassava in the ground, but they would never mess with the trees in his woods. He himself, when he needed work to be done, would buy wood from other plantations. His trees grew safe from the attentions of the axe and the saw. But once, on one of our journeys, I saw him furious as never before. We were riding down a track in the great forest when we heard the sound of the swishing of an axe.
"Who gave you the order to cut down this tree?"
"It was Mr. Juca." Firmino the carpenter replied more dead than alive.
"Damn it all! But you know perfectly well that I don't want any woodcutting here!"
And he turned back to the house without saying another word, without stopping anywhere else.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment