Wednesday 27 July 2016

Plantation Boy - Menino de Engenho - Chapter 30



My Uncle Juca’s room was locked all day long. The only person who went in was the maid who cleaned and changed his bed clothes. But when, on a Sunday he relaxed in his great hammock that dragged along the ground, I used to stay with him. My uncle would put me by his side and play with me. I was the only nephew that he was close to. He had a lot of things to show me; his photograph albums, his picture books, the Mailed Fist to which he subscribed, full of people pictured showing their profile. I read all the stories in the Mailed Fist, with its portraits of politicians, and its character John Everyman who had an answer for everything.
“Don’t touch that!” he told me, when by chance, I touched a packet that was lying on top of the chest.
One day when I was left alone I made a bee line for the prohibited thing: a collection of pictures of naked women, post cards of them in all the possible obscene positions. I don’t know why my uncle kept this disgusting display of filth. Whenever I managed to be left in his room without him I went straight for the dirty postcards. I felt an irresistible attraction for these shameless figures.
One day when he was out late somewhere I amused myself with his pictures for a long time. My uncle caught me by surprise with the pictures in my hand. He turfed me out of his room, not to be allowed in again. I was unworthy of his trust, unworthy of the secrets of his alcove.
I missed his room and the pictures of all those indecent men and women.

No comments:

Post a Comment