Saturday 16 July 2016

Plantation Boy - Menino de Engenho - Chapter 19



The railway line ran along the other bank of the river. From the plantation we could hear its whistle blow. The train was a sort of clock for us; before the ten o'clock train, after the two o'clock train, and so on.
We liked to go up close to the railway line to see the passenger trains close up. You would think trains had just been invented, we were so fascinated.
In fact we were forbidden to go near the railway track, and for good reason. One of the worst moments of my childhood happened on one of our excursions to the trackside.
My cousin Silvino had planned to overturn the engine on the incline at Caboclo. Once before, on seeing one of the black boys with a red cloth hoisted on a stick, we had got the driver to stop the ten o'clock train.
But now my cousin wanted a proper disaster. So he placed a stone on the track on a bend. We remained on the look-out, waiting for the train. When I saw it snaking along I felt a terrible anxiety in the pit of my stomach. I thought that within a few minutes all around me would be pieces of dead people, heads rolling along the ground, blood flowing from the crushed iron of the engine. Instinctively, seeing the train come growling down the track, I ran to the stone and, with all my strength, I pushed it out of the way. A moment later I heard the roar of the engine as it passed.
I was alone there by the railway line. My cousins and the black boys had all run away. My heart was beating harder than a piston. It seemed that I was the only one guilty of the disaster that never happened. I began to cry from fear in the silence. And bathed in tears I went home. Never again in my life have I been tempted to perform an act of such heroism.

No comments:

Post a Comment