Monday 25 July 2016

Plantation Boy - Menino de Engenho Chapter 27





At last I had my sheep to ride! I had spent my life asking for one from Uncle Juca, from cousin Baltasar do Beleza, to all my relations who had flocks of sheep. One day a sheep came for me. It was soft and gentle, a sheep born for riding. She was called Jasmin. I had seen the children of Ze Medeiros of Pilar, each with his sheep tacked up, riding down the road to our plantation and bitter envy had invaded my heart.
I began to nurse the dream of being the owner of my own ‘little horse’. And a child’s dream is stronger than an adult’s dream because his is closer to reality. I dreamt of my sheep day and night. And because I pestered so much I eventually got what I wanted.
Now that I had my sheep Jasmin I needed a saddle and tack. All night long I would dream of my steed saddled up with the best quality tack. I pestered some more and in the end some tack was sent from Itabaiana.
The canaries were forgotten about, free to sing in freedom without fear of capture. All I thought about now was Jasmin. In the morning I took her out to pasture, gave her cold water to drink, washed her with soap, combed her wool. And in the afternoon we went for a ride. These rides, on my own, on the road, mounted on my nicely groomed Jasmin, were an opportunity for gloomy thoughts to invade my head. I thought of bad things, like what would become of the plantation when my grandfather died. I often heard people say,
“When the old man shuts his eyes for the last time, it’s the poor folk of Santa Rosa who will suffer.”
And this idea of the death of old José Paulino began to worry my mind. Who would look after Santa Rosa? Who would pay the workers?
My little sheep with her little steps walked the paths around the plantation and I hardly noticed where I was, so wrapped up was I in my thoughts.
I thought a lot about Aunt Maria. She was preparing for her marriage to a cousin from Gameleira. I don’t know how many seamstresses were working on her white wedding dress. They sewed letters onto the cushions. And she bought up whatever lace there was going. In the garden men were setting up a tent, decorated with carnations, for the wedding day.
My great friend was going away.
But the everyday incidents on my travels would drag me out of my melancholy reverie, and bit by bit I began to see the road. Jasmin knew our route well. She knew the clumps of grass and the puddles too. I used to stop at the tenants’ houses. The women would sit at the door without their jackets, their breasts almost falling out of their blouses, sewing and mending by the front door. Their children would run to see my sheep and ask me for a ride. I used to stay and play with my grandfather’s little serfs, climbing trees and eating fruit that had fallen to the ground. I learned a lot about their lives, about the birds’ nests they discovered, the little animals they caught to eat, the little jars of chestnut wood that they made. Many of them were yellow, with swollen bellies, poor things, their guts infested with worms. As a remedy their mothers would give them jaracatia fruit and they would spend the day with the runs. But they would grow up strong and tall, men who worked in my grandfather’s fields.
The women would ask me for news from the main house. They wanted to know everything; about my aunt’s wedding, how was everybody’s health and so on. And when I asked for water they would rinse out the mug, and fill it with the muddy water they liked so much. I would give them Aunt Maria’s regards and the medicines that she had promised them. And they would give me packets of lace:
“Tell Miss Maria that this is for her trousseau.”
They were also growing carnations in preparation for the wedding day of the daughter of the master of the plantation.
The sun had almost gone down when I would make my way home. Underneath the branches of the plum trees I could already feel the evening chill. My sheep would run back. She was afraid of the silence and of the long shadows. She veritably charged back home.
Workmen, spades slung over their shoulders, were making their way home from the fields. They chattered away merrily, as if the twelve hours labour they had just done weighed upon them not at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment