Friday 1 July 2016

Plantation Boy - Meninino de Engenho - Chapter 6



Within a few days I was quite at home in my new life. Some of my cousins had come to stay with us on the plantation. They were older than me, two boys and a girl. Now I had playmates other than the little black boys. My two boy cousins, brave and bold, knew how to swim, to ride a horse bareback, ate everything put in front of them and behaved as if they were indestructible. They took me with them to the pool at mid-day when the water was warm; something that was strictly forbidden. Afterwards we would uncover our heads, wiping our hair, letting the sun warm our heads so that nobody could tell where we had been.
"You've turned black," Aunt Maria told me. "You were so pale when you arrived and now you hardly look white at all. It won't do. Your cousins may be used to it, but you are not. From dawn till dusk, barefoot, running wild like a little animal. Your grandfather spoke to me about it yesterday. You're a good little boy, so don't run around all over the place after those rascals. There's fever about. Fausto's son, over in Pilar, has been in bed for over a month now. And next week I'm going to begin to teach you to read and write."
But my cousins never stopped, and in the morning I went with them and the black boys to wash the horses, and there we would spend hours in the water.
And they would throw stones into the pond and then dive in picking them up from the bottom. They splashed and kicked and fought each other in the water, and there was always someone who went away crying, carrying their complaints with them back home. We would spend all day playing these wild and fearful games. 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment