Friday 20 May 2016

You Loved My Mother More Than Me

I kind of liked you because you didn't wear make-up
I kind of liked you because you were natural
Quirky face, pale skin, cruel lips were enough
You were the one girl who wasn't artificial

Last night I dreamt that you were laughing
And I was laughing  -  you lightened my heart
Laughing at your terrible jokes, the girl you were
Before conformity and falsehood drove us apart

My mother arrived in the dream and on her face
Was a mark that I had never seen before
In her hand was a black and white photo
Around her neck were the diamonds she wore

She had re-invented herself she told you
She hadn't always worn clothes of the very best cut
Been the stylish woman who stood before you
She'd never let herself get stuck in a rut

Her gaze was firm, inviting you to decide
An average girl or a woman with pride
You smiled at the woman you wanted to be
And I knew you loved my mother more than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment