Saturday 16 March 2013

I am Lazarus - Sundays with John Ball

Sometimes I say to myself  'I am Spartacus.' In reality I am Lazarus.
In the words of John's Gospel, translated by Mr. Wycliffe and his friends:

'But when Mary was come where Jesus was, she seeing him felled down to his feet, and said to him, Lord, if thou haddest been here, my brother had not be dead.
Therefore when Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews weeping that were with her, he made noise in spirit, and troubled himself, and said, Where have ye laid him? they said to him, lord, come, and see.
And Jesus wept.
Therefore the Jews said, Lo! how he loved him.
And some of them said, Whether this man that opened the eyes of the born blind man, might not make that this man should not die?
Therefore Jesus again making noise in himself, came to the grave. And there was a den, and a stone was laid thereon.
And Jesus saith, Take ye away the stone. Martha, the sister of him that was dead, saith to him, Lord, he stinketh now, for he hath lain four days.
Jesus saith to her, Have I not said to thee, that if thou believest, thou shalt see the glory of God?
Therefore they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes, and said, Father, I do thankings to thee, for thou hast heard me;
and I knew, that thou ever more hearest me, but for the people that standeth about, I said, that they believe, that thou hast sent me.
When he had said these things, he cried with a great voice, Lazarus, come forth.
And at once he that was dead, came out, bound the hands and feet with bonds, and his face bound with a sudarium. and Jesus saith to them, Unbind ye him, and suffer ye him to go forth.'

No comments:

Post a Comment