Wednesday 22 June 2016

Keeping In Touch

Ever since I remember I’ve done what I’ve been told
In front of teacher I never spoke too bold
I knew my best policy was to keep quiet
And should they point the finger, deny it!

I was on my own in a classroom of forty
Looking at teacher, not daring be naughty
No talk, no play, no fun, just solitary
Alone in a crowd, alone with Authority

When I grew older I searched for employment
I needed money to fund my entertainment
The lasses, the booze, the drugs that I took
I was escaping, but still on the hook

I talked to a girl, but she had nothing to say
So I picked up the tab, and together we made hay
I told her we were having a real good time
But she was no fool, she knew I was lying

She worked in an office, knew about I.T.
And I worked long hours in the fast food factory
We saved up our money and we bought us a home
But when she stopped talking I was still alone

The children were born, one, two, three
The girls looked like her, the boy looked like me
Five strangers united by what we did buy
Feigning our happiness, living the lie

The children grew older and quickly left home
But they kept in touch on their mobile phones
Me and the missus, we like to watch T.V.
And when we talk, I text her and she texts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment