Sunday 15 March 2015

Elton John And Boycotts And Negative Comments

Some of Elton John's early music is classic pop, and he was part of the Glam Rock era, along with T.Rex, Bowie, Gary Glitter, Roxy Music, Sweet, and many more. And some of his music has stood the test of time.
Now, however much I dislike his sucking up to the establishment, however much I squirm at pictures of him with his 'husband', and whatever my reservations about adoptions and surrogate mothers, whatever I think about the irresponsibility of parenting children when you are old enough to be their great- grandfather, I will not be boycotting Elton John's records.
 I will not be boycotting Elton because, firstly, I think that at heart Elton John is a decent bloke. I can understand people not wanting to listen to Gary Glitter anymore, and  personally, when musicians take an anti Israel stand, they fall in my estimation and I don't much feel like listening to their music, because I suspect that behind their righteousness, their exclusive hostility to Israel reveals a hate-filled heart that may lead to someone's physical harm. But Elton John is just trying to live his life as he sees best.
Secondly, if you disagree with someone, then talk to them. Shutting down debate by calling for a boycott is absurd and destructive. It seems to me that the ones who express 'anger' and 'outrage' are the ones that hate.
Likewise I am sure Dolce and Gabbana are decent blokes too.
That said, I can understand Elton John not wanting to buy any more stuff from people who have criticised his lifestyle.
The problem with Dolce and Gabbana is that their comments were negative. They wished to praise traditional motherhood and traditional families. By all means do so, but it doesn't need to involve criticism of others.
Say what is right, not what is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment