Friday 14 March 2014

Phaedra's Lament

Phaedra was the daughter of Pasiphae and Minos. Her half-brother was the Minotaur, as her mother had procreated with the Great Bull. Phaedra too was a passionate lady, and  had an enthusiasm for her stepson, Hippolytus. The French playwright, Racine, wrote a famous play about her, a play that Proust loved hugely. Phaedra also finds her way into Francesco Cilea's wonderful opera, Adriana Lecouvrier.
Here, from the English version of the libretto is Phaedra's Lament.

'Just Heavens!
What have I done today?

My husband comes,
With him his son: and I shall see the witness
Of my adulterous flame watch with what face
I greet his father, while my heart is big
With sighs he scorned, and tears that could not move him
Moisten mine eyes.

Thank you that his respect
For Theseus will induce him to conceal
My madness, nor disgrace his sire and king?

Will he be able to keep back the horror
He has for me? His silence would be in vain.
I know my treason, and I lack the boldness

Of those abandoned women who can taste
Tranquility in crime, and show a forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment