Friday 28 February 2014

Herman Chinery-Hesse - No To Aid

'I think that the World Bank and a lot of the donor organisations have an agenda outside the development of our countries. They bully our governments into positions where our governments are not in a position to make the decisions that are required for the rapid development of our countries. And I don't blame them. If the World Bank officers gave us good advice, we'll become a developed country. If we became a developed country, then what happens to them? They are out of a job!'

'The politicians sometimes can be very childish, and they'll cut of their noses to spite their faces. And they can do this, once again, because they are more interested in a smile on the World Bank country director's face than the success of my business, because they really are not depending on me as much as they are depending on the World Bank for their livelihood and their survival.'

'I just don't think the formula that is required for Africa is what they are implementing. They are implementing what will give the best political influence to Western governments, and therefore, to Western companies.  And this has been the formula all along.'

'I have never heard of any country that developed on Aid.....the track is wrong....it leads nowhere....Only Africans can develop Africa. I don't know of any country in the world where a bunch of foreigners came and developed the country. I don't know one. Japan? Korea? No! No country did that. The U.S was not developed by Nigerians.
We have to sink or swim ourselves.'

No comments:

Post a Comment