Friday 23 September 2016

So Many People, Mariana - Tanta Gente Mariana - Maria Judite de Carvalho - Part 13



Mrs. Harper survived, I found out later. One day I telephoned their hotel just to find out. They told me that she was recovering. So, I hadn’t gone anywhere and I was still stuck in my old room, the prisoner of its four walls.
“It’s for the best, Dona Mariana,” the landlady said, “It would have been a bother to have to get to know someone new, yes, a real bother. I even prayed to Santa Teresinha that you wouldn’t go.”
The Englishwoman survived and Dona Gloria was happy. Santa Teresinha had arranged everything for the best. I was feeling more and more tired. Tired of living and unable to die. Tired of being. Tired of the ghosts that hovered around me and continued to haunt me at any time of the day or night, tired of my surroundings, and everything far away from me too. I was so thin and looked so bad that Dona Gloria made me go to see the doctor.
“Have you considered that it might be tuberculosis, Dona Mariana? It’s very serious you know. It’s a contagious disease. I’m not saying that for my sake. I’ve never been afraid of illness, but, well, Augusta is a young girl…..”
I went to see the doctor. He took a good look at me and then sent me for a series of blood tests. “It’s probably not anything, but just in case…..” I asked him if what he suspected was contagious.
“No, not at all….”
He started to laugh. I didn’t understand what was so funny. He neither.

One evening I went to the cinema. I don’t know why I went. How long was it since I had gone to the pictures? I went to the Tivoli. There were only a few people at the door and I felt enticed into going in. well, why not? This was living. At one time I used to enjoy going to the cinema, just being there when the lights went off and there was a dream right there in front of my eyes. Yes, I always enjoyed going to the pictures. Maybe I would still enjoy it, who knows? That’s why I went in, I remember now, just to see if I was still capable of enjoying something.
It was an early show and the theatre was almost empty. Behind me, two women, sorry, two ladies, were talking. Both of them had the sort of piercing contralto voices that belonged to well to do ladies.
“She really is so nice, you’re right. She’s so natural.”
“Then it’s not true?”
“Not at all. They were charming. They seemed to me to be very united as a couple. Nowadays it is so rare. And in a way there’s nothing worse. Quite rich? No, not with a house like that……..How long have they been married?”
“Four years I think. They met in Paris. He had to get divorced. Luckily it had only been a civil wedding……….a real masterstroke.”
“How strange! Estrela indeed struck me as special. Not as a sculptor, may I say. That ‘Sitting Bather’ which she exhibited in the salon…………goodness me! No, she is a special person……attractive, pretty, the complete woman.”
“She’s a fine girl, a fantastic girl. She always sticks up for António’s first wife. That tells you a lot, no?  A crazy woman who only a few months after the divorce was walking about the Baixa with a swollen belly, if you know what I mean.”
“I had no idea. She had a lover, did she, when she was still married? Who was she?”
“Nobody knew her. A lot was said about Estrela’s husband’s ex-wife but Estrela defended her, always. Of course she agreed that it was the wrong time to do something so stupid   -   it couldn’t have been worse, but taking into account the circumstances…..yes, Estrela is a fantastic girl, a good wife, a good mother. When the eldest had swollen lymph glands when he was two……..”
“I didn’t know they had children.”
“They have two. The eldest, Fernando………….”
The lights had gone out. I got up and trod on the feet of several people who complained. The usher also said something, but I didn’t catch what he said, but I remember hearing him. I only caught my breath when I was in the street, walking mechanically down the Avenue. I remember that at one point I found myself by the riverbank. At the same moment I saw people looking at me and some were laughing. Two small boys stopped in front of me and then fled. I raised my hands to my face and wiped away the tears.

That day, yes, I thought about killing myself. I was still thinking about it the following morning when Dona Gloria and the maid left the market. I was alone in the house and I couldn’t allow the opportunity to escape. I shut the window tight, and the kitchen door. Then I turned on the gas and sat down and waited. All without thinking, without even wanting to think. The air was getting heavy, when someone rang the doorbell. I turned off the gas, slowly opened the kitchen door, then the front door. It was the postman with a postcard from Luís Gonzaga.



No comments:

Post a Comment