Friday 16 September 2016

So Many People, Mariana - Tanta Gente Mariana - Maria Judite de Carvalho Part 7



I don’t want to leave anything behind me. I spent today tearing up papers. Amongst them I found the photo of me and the tree. Why did I keep it? I don’t know. I can’t remember. I put it on top of the wardrobe, so I can look at it sometime. So much paper, so many sheets I have covered with writing! Diaries, letters that never reached their destination because, in the end, thinking about it, they were not worth sending……Papers embroidered by a small handwriting, firm, regular, round, that I hardly recognise. My handwriting has wrinkled and softened with my face and my hands, with my own body with its sagging breasts and its faded unloved flesh.
The bin is crammed full of my life. Torn up scraps, fragments, words that someone said to me which I no longer remember hearing, words that I said to someone that I have now forgotten. Everything mixed up in my memory. Postcards sent by Luís Gonzaga with Italian stamps and views of cathedrals, words from someone unknown to someone I no longer am. ‘The weather is very pleasant. Rome is marvellous…..’, and to finish with, ‘best wishes for your happiness.’ I’m no longer even able to laugh.

Perhaps it was because of the postcards that I’d been reading that once again I dreamt of Luís last night. His presence, real or imagined, was, and still is, nice company. For a long time I used to think of him when I woke up. He would appear to me either as when I first time I saw him or as he was that day when we said goodbye to each other forever. Forever, despite all the postcards he continued to write to me for many months more. It was the time when I used to wake up at night and a strange soft light filled the room and I would notice the room’s odd smell, and taste the sleep in my mouth. I didn’t want to wake up because then I would remember who I was. I would shut my eyes, wanting to return to the nothing from which I had just come. In my head were images I could not see. I wondered who I had been dreaming of, and I couldn’t make it out. Sometimes, however, from the deepest depths of the night I would manage to drag to the surface one or other figure, almost smothered, vague, ghostly. Did other people dream in black and white too? I asked Luís about it one day and he said that was just how dreams were. But Luís would always accept everything. He didn’t laugh about anything. He didn’t find anything strange or preposterous. Any idea at all he slowly thought over, looking to understand everything, even that which was either childish or ridiculous. And in this way, and many others, such as his voice, his way of smiling, he greatly resembled my father.
I had met him at Lúcia’s house. He was a distant relation of hers. He belonged to a rich family from the Minho, much given to religion. He, the youngest and most fragile son, had been destined for the priesthood since he was a child. Hence he had been sent to a seminary, but on finishing it, and before taking orders, he had been filled with doubts. Did he really have a religious vocation? It was then that he had come to Lisbon to study classical philosophy. But immediately, on that first day that I met him at Lúcia’s house, Luís Gonzaga said quite naturally that it was quite possible that he would become a priest.
Now that I write his name, his image comes to mind and I feel less alone. Like when his postcards arrive. They don’t say anything but the handwriting is his and it is nice to think that somebody remembered me for the space of a couple of minutes.
For how long will Luís Gonzaga continue to write me postcards? The last one I received was six months ago. He said that after he had spent a few years in universities and retreats he would return to Portugal where he hoped for the happiness of serving a small parish in his province. Then he wrote an unoriginal phrase in which he wished me well and hoped that I too might find my path.
My path? Maybe I had found it after all. Could there possibly be a better one for me, however much I looked for it?
Maybe he will continue to write to me even when I’m gone. Who knows? But no. There will be plenty of things to prevent him from doing so, his good name for one. What would they think and say if they found out, and they would find out, of course, that he was writing to a woman? And it is necessary to keep one’s good name, as Lúcia well knows. What is friendship worth when one’s good name is at stake? Friendship…..For Luís too, maybe it’s no more than a passing memory that goes no further than pity.  Maybe it is out of pity that he still writes to me. No, what an idea! And his good name? His egoism? It’s not good to forget one’s egoism. We only give to others the alms of our concern if they thank us for it. And I believe that I have written to him only once or twice. We are no more than creatures of God. We write once, twice, ten or twenty times in exceptional cases……..But then we get weary and we forget, and then we cling to those phrases that justify our disinterest. She who does not reply is she who does not interest herself in the news that she has received. Maybe she is bored by it, who knows? Or, is it possible that she has moved house again? Or even, maybe she has remarried? The excuses that we make for ourselves

We can only remember a face or a landscape as it was the first day we saw it. That’s how I see him, as the young man he was back then – I who am an old woman of thirty-six – an old woman full of white hairs and wrinkles who left off being a woman  long ago.  I am sure that Lúcia’s mother still visits the hairdresser’s every fortnight, still files her nails, still plucks her eyebrows, still puts on anti-wrinkle cream at night. It makes me want to laugh……..Lúcia’s mother doing all that, and me……..
How am I to remember Luís Gonzaga? Back then I was twenty-eight years old. I was getting divorced, I was unhappy, but I was twenty-eight. I still liked António, certainly.  Even today, knowing that I am going to die, I still like him.
I was suffering a lot, for sure, but I don’t remember any longer just exactly how I was suffering. It’s strange how the years go by and we remember details with an almost photographic clarity, we hear a phrase and the very voice that pronounced it, but how exactly we felt at a determined point back then in the past, dies with that moment.
It was because I was suffering, because I was unhappy, that I clung on with all my might, almost desperately, to Luís Gonzaga. His eyes possessed a serenity that I needed. His calm voice and his gentle gaze that lingered on people almost absently, brought with them a sense of well-being that I had never known before, and that I would never feel from anyone else.
And that calm was never out of step with the light anxiety that sometimes appeared in his face, which only served to soften it further. Never again, after that first meeting, had he spoken to me, or to anybody else of the possibility of becoming a priest, but I knew from his silences, from the sentences begun and then abandoned, whenever the subject turned to some connection with the Church or the seminary he had attended, or even the Catholic faith itself, that the idea had never left him. I knew it from the fact that he never tried to convert me.
We went out a lot. I had an almost physical need to go out, to see people, to go here and there, to look beyond myself as much as possible. I had finally found a job as a typist in a shipping company, but at going-home-time, if he were free, I would meet up with Luís Gonzaga and we would visit exhibitions and go to the early showings at the cinema, and on a Sunday, if there was nothing better to do we would go to the zoo to see the animals. On the bad days I would talk to him about António and Estrela and myself. He would laugh and tell me that I was twenty-eight and that I had many years ahead of me.
“Maybe I’ll have to marry you, eh?” he said one day.
He had his bad days too. He seemed worried, talking little. Once he told me that the seminary had been no good for him. Other people had decided for him that he should go, and he hadn’t known how to set himself free.
“You can see the scars, they’re plain to see,” I told him, “To think that out of five brothers it was you who was chosen to be the priest. Don’t you think it’s more than a coincidence that you have a religious vocation. Unless, of course, you consider yourself to be in a state of grace, and you sin from pride.”
He smiled, “We all sin from pride sixty times an hour, sometimes more. You can see my scars and you know that you are right. I know that I’m right even though I still don’t know it. There’s so much pride!”



No comments:

Post a Comment