Monday 19 September 2016

So Many People, Mariana - Tanta Gente Mariana - Maria Judite de Carvalho - Part 10



The landlady woke up in a bad mood. All morning she was having a go at the maid who only replied with sighs and silences. Today she was complaining that the girl had got up too late. Despite the disorder and uncleanliness that had struck me immediately when I moved in, Dona Gloria considers herself to be a good housewife. Sometimes LĂșcia’s mother would say too, “I’m a good housewife and the man who marries my daughter won’t do badly either. LĂșcia knows how to do everything. It’s very important for a woman. Men like to have a tidy house, clean clothes, regular meals. I was always a slave to my housework.”
What would my own mother have been like, I ask myself?
 She died when I was three and my father would cry when he spoke about her. I had an enormous desire to know how she would have been, this mother who I did not know and about whom I was unable to ask. Sometimes I would stare for hours at the picture of her on my father’s dressing table. I would look at her so much that it appeared that her eyes were moving and her mouth seemed to be smiling at me. No, she wasn’t like them. She couldn’t possibly be. She cooked the food, saw to the washing (she didn’t have a maid) but she wasn’t a good housewife.
I detest good housewives. If they are poor they wear themselves out working. If they are middle class or rich they get one or more other people to wear themselves out in their stead. Whatever, they are slaves of the overseers of others who give them their orders. Outside life goes on. Husband and children are getting on with life, submerged in it, while the housewives are scrubbing, cleaning, polishing. Or watching others do it. Look at the dust! It’s not very clean! Look at that tap! It ought to be shining! It can’t go on like this, it has to stop, yes, it must! Life has gone by without them seeing anything of it. Without even noticing it! They are left alone and they are hardly aware of it. The husband dies without ever having been there, and the sons flee so they can marry other housewives who are hidden inside pretty happy loving girls. And life goes on. No, it cannot continue like this. Yes, it has to carry on. Yes it must! And the sons of the sons think of fleeing and dream of other loving girls……


No comments:

Post a Comment