Saturday 10 August 2013

I Forgot To Say Thanks

The  Gospel According To John, Chapter 6:
"And Jesus took the loaves: and when he had given thanks, he distributed to the disciples, and the disciples to them that were set down."
   
John Ball writes:
Sorry to have to go back a few lines, but I forgot to say thanks, as I frequently do. In fact I tend to take everything for granted these days. I just assume that the food will be on the table, that there will be clothes on my back and that I will be warm and fat.
I know that in some other places there are wars and some people go hungry, but that's because they're not as advanced as we are and that everything will be all right if they would be kinder to gays, dogs and children.
No, seriously though, I do forget to say thanks an awful lot. Food and clothing are so incredibly cheap and are just so instant.
It really is hard to view the world with a sense of gratitude in a capitalist commodity consumer society, where the whole aim to life seems to be to trough responsibly, to ethically trough, to trough with a full cup of self righteousness.
I just get swept along myself. I can't think stop thinking about what I want next. Even though I'm bloated and my appetite is jaded I want some new entertainment.
It's kind of hard to be thankful, it really is, especially at those times when I've forgotten what it's all about.
Ah, but yes, I remember now. Jesus took me out of the trough of despair, the trough of selfishness, the trough of hate, and gave me life eternal.
Thank you Jesus! Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment