Wednesday 24 August 2016

Something Like Lager

I'm sitting here on my own
Drinking; it tastes something like lager
The same old thoughts tormenting my brain
I can't take it much longer

Like a boxer striking air
All my enemies have long since gone
Fighting old battles covered in dust
Ghosts stand up, march on and on

The crazy man walking by
He's talking to himself  -  just like me
His lips are moving, now he laughing
His mind unmoored drifting free

Going down this troubled road
My glory days are far behind
What  could've, might've, would've been
If I'd known what I would find

Soon  my eyes will fail me
My knees are worn, my legs broken down
Trapped here inside this dying body
My mind whirls round and round

Like the wheel the mouse runs on
Ever returning to the same place
Reality is losing her hold
I no longer know her face

I hope I die, I hope it's soon
I've run my marathon for far too long
Come sweet death, I'm reaching for you
Toil and struggle will soon be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment